Saturday, April 19, 2008

A TIME TO REMEMBER

On April 19, 1995, Timothy McVeigh took away Oklahoma City's innocence forever when he bombed the Murrah Building and 168 innocent people died. Today a memorial was held on the site to honor and to remember the people killed and also to remember the survivors of that horrible day. One survivor, PJ Allen, lived and still lives across the street from my son, Keith. He was only a baby (I think about 15 months old) when the bombing occurred. PJ was in the children's daycare center the day of the bombing and, by a miracle, lived and has grown into a handsome, intelligent teenager. To this day PJ represents the horror of the bombing to me and I still cannot think of PJ without tears coming into my eyes. I was asked if I wanted to go to the bombing site today by my son's fiancee, but I can't to this day go to the site. It would be too emotional for me, so I know not to put myself in that position. Life goes on after a horrific event such as this, but today I thank God that my family was spared this tragedy.

What a beautiful day this has been! At the time of this writing, it is 82 degrees, sunny, and at last the wind has subsided. My son came and sprayed some of the weeds in my yard. I mowed the yard where he did not spray, but I am finding pulling the cord to start the lawnmower is too hard on my back. I guess I will have to concede that I am not as young as I used to be.

Neighbors, friends, and family have all been in touch with me today. I have a good support system that watches out for me ever since I became a widow. My grandson, Ryan, called and his under eleven year old boys soccer team is playing in a tournament today and tomorrow in Hutchinson, KS. The team lost the first game played today and won the second game. They play at least one game tomorrow. Ryan is maturing into such a fine young man.

No comments: