Thursday, April 17, 2008

A DAY AT THE 45TH INFANTRY DIVISION MUSEUM

Finally, I had my first volunteer day at the 45th Infantry Division Museum, and it was quite a learning experience. I met Leon, Bob, Ed, Norris, Bill and others who each had their own war experiences to tell me. Each of them had served in the National Guard or the Regular Army and were so helpful to me. They all had very impressive ranks and several had their pictures in the museum. The museum is laid out where it flows from Indian Territory Days to the present. I am very impressed with the display of the original World War II cartoon drawings by Bill Mauldin. Bill served on the staff of the 45th Division News. I am also impressed with items on display from Hitler's home, apartment, and bunker. We had a few visitors today, two from California, and one young 21 year old soldier home from Iraq for three weeks and then back to Iraq where he had been since June 2007. He was quite interesting to talk to. A few locals also visited. The museum will have a lot of visitors during the summer and I am told they come from all over the world to visit the museum because it is Oklahoma's only state operated museum dedicated to military history. The museum director, Bill, brought me a Missouri Pacific Railroad pass issued to his father on April 9, 1924. He knows my interest really is the railroad, and it was very kind of him to share this with me. I will see if the Oklahoma Railroad Museum is interested in having this piece of memorabilia. I was issued a jacket and an identification badge and will report back to the museum next Thursday at 9:00 am. Everyone should visit this military museum at least once.

Weather has been unpredictable today, cloudy, windy, a few raindrops, and now as the evening is here, it has turned much colder than earlier in the day.

I am thankful that my family and friends are all well at the close of this day. I hope they all experienced a fun-filled day.

No comments: