Friday, April 4, 2008

REMEMBRANCE

Today would have been the 110th birthday of my dear father-in-law and I wish to remember him on this day, April 4, 2008. He was born in Sullivan, IL on April 4, 1898, a son of a newspaper family. The family moved to Kansas, IL in 1915 when his father purchased the Kansas Journal. After high school, due to his dad's illness, he assumed charge of the Journal and spent the rest of his life editing and publishing one of the best "country weeklies" in Eastern Illinois. He was known as "A Country Editor". He retired in February 1975 and died on October 17, 1975. So today I remember Harry E. Covey as being kind, gentle, funny, and a loving father and father-in-law .

I had my usual errands to run today, bank, gasoline, grocery store, and my daily walk at the mall. I walked with John, an old buddy of my late husband. John is soon to be 89 and he walked as briskly as I. He walked 1 mile and I walked 2 1/2 miles. Enjoyed talking over old times that he and my husband shared. After each of them retired they met for coffee once or twice a week.

3 comments:

KHC said...

I very much enjoyed your post today.

luv2gosup said...

Thank you for your comment. I have nothing but good to say about this kind man. He truly had newspaper ink in his blood.

Kelly said...

This is wonderful! I bet all the family all over the country would love to read and see this! Hope they have access to your website.