Tuesday, May 27, 2008

SATURDAY, SUNDAY AND MONDAY

My life has been hectic the last three days by choice.

Saturday was a "girlfriend day" and Geneva and I made the most of it!!! We started out early and ended up when we couldn't think of anything else to do. First, we went to the 32nd Annual Paseo Arts Festival where we enjoyed ourselves walking from one artist's booth to another. There were so many colorful art displays and so many colorful artists. It was a lovely, sunny day and the art festival drew a large crowd, both for viewing the art and for the variety of food places you could eat at. We chose to eat indoors at a very artsy place, and while eating, we watched the people walk by, some with their dogs. Geneva's daughter was dancing with her dancing class and we watched Susie dance two numbers. Susie knew her routine and was enjoying herself so much. Her husband was there to watch his wife perform, in addition to Geneva and I. By the end of the dancing we were getting warm sitting out under the sun and decided we had seen and done enough there. We were both thirsty and decided to go to some bar and get a Margarita to cool off. Two older women looking for a bar and not knowing where to find one was a sight you had to see for yourself. We looked all up and down Western and couldn't find one that was open. Then we went to May Avenue and found "Cousins" bar and grill and it was open for business. The Margarita was so refreshing but oh so potent. I was giggling and slurring my words before I finished the drink. It didn't affect Geneva and I am glad because she was the "designated driver." She brought me home where I slept and awakened ready to go again. We talked on the telephone and decided to meet at City Bites and get a baked potato. When we finished eating the potato, we decided to go to Braum's and get a hot fudge sundae. We had our day made and had such fun being together.

On Sunday I went to the cemetery and placed flowers on George's grave. A flag was placed on his grave by a cemetery employee. All those who have died and who once served in the armed services are honored this way. The cemetery was beautiful with all the grasses so green and all the colorful flowers and wreaths placed on the many gravesites. It has a special meaning to go to the cemetery on Memorial Day, not only is it a day to honor those who died for our freedom, but to honor all loved ones who precede us in death. George has been gone a little over five years and Keith and I have not missed going to honor him on this special day. The last few years Keith's fiancee, Kelly, has also honored George by visiting his grave on Memorial Day.

On Monday, Memorial Day, I volunteered at the Oklahoma 45th Infantry Division Museum. A beautiful and touching ceremony was held there on the lawn with a band, speakers, a flyover, canon being shot, Color Guard, and the introduction of all armed services veterans in attendance. The museum's curator was the moderator and one speaker was Major General LaRita Aragon, a female. I felt more patriotic by being in attendance than I ever have. I worked the day in the gift shop and the reception desk. I was very busy in both places and felt honored to have been there that day with all the unsung war heroes. I cannot place myself in the conditions that they fought under. It is inconceivable to me how any human can weather the conditions of war. I was tired when I got home after a day at the museum and my son and his fiancee brought dinner to me and it really hit the spot. I called friends to tell them about my rewarding day and called it a day. I was in bed earlier and slept better than I had for a long time. I was awakened by a thunder and lightning storm that went through around 2:00 a.m. but fell right back to sleep.

No comments: