Thursday, May 15, 2008

ANOTHER THURSDAY AT THE MUSEUM

Thursdays at the military museum is something I look forward to each week. Today was no exception, lots of interesting conversations. The volunteers are always interesting to sit and talk to. I always have Don and Ed at the desk with me. Because of their age difference, the conversation never gets boring. They are both knowledgeable about the museum's layout and can converse with all the guests and explain in detail about the different wars. I will never be knowledgeable enough to take guests on tours, but I can welcome them and make them feel that we are glad they are visiting the museum. Today we had several out of state visitors, and I do remember some from California, Kansas City, and Ft. Worth. I made chocolate chip cookies and took to the break room today. Everyone seemed to appreciate my gesture and all the guys thanked me. I will have to think of something else to make and take next week. I haven't had anyone to cook for since I became a widow and it was fun making cookies once again. I was shown how to work in the gift shop today. That will be a diversion from sitting at the reception desk. There are some unique 45th Thunderbird items for sale. I was also shown around the entire museum to acquaint me with the light switch in every room. There is no master switch. This building is too old for all the modern lighting techniques. After all, this building was a WPA project. I was sorry to hear that Norris, a man that I have a lot in common with, had a heart attack and had to have stents. He is home and doing OK. Norris and I went to the same elementary, junior high, and high school. We were not in the same grades and never met until recently at the museum. I wish him well. I visited with Mary Jane, Art, Bob, Bill, Mike, and Leon, in addition to the guys at the reception desk. Leon is very helpful with any questions I have. He has worked there for many years and seems to be liked by all the staff and volunteers. I am enjoying being with the new friends I have made at the museum.

I came home from the museum and finished my house chores that I left undone when I left this morning. I find that it doesn't take too long to clean for one person. I still hate the grocery shopping and running errands. I only shop when I am totally out of bread and milk. I had e-mails from friends to read and send on to others. I understand good weather is predicted for the next week. I am tired of the chilly, cold days. Of course, I will be wishing for the cool days when it reaches 90-100 degrees.

No comments: