Saturday, May 10, 2008

ENID, OK SOCCER TOURNAMENT

Another fantastic day with my son and his fiancee!!! They are spoiling me taking me to all these places in Oklahoma. My grandson, Ryan, was in Enid coaching his under eleven boys soccer team in a tournament. His team is from Hutchinson, KS and are playing today and tomorrow in Enid. We were so pleased with Ryan's calm demeanor in coaching these young boys. Parents told us they were glad to have Ryan as the coach. The boys act as though they really like being on this team. They won one game and lost one game today and play two games tomorrow against the same teams. The team and their parents all went to the same shopping mall food court for lunch where we also went. We did some shopping and had a fun time with Ryan. College is out and Ryan plans to spend a few days with us before he returns to Sterling where he will live and work this summer. I am proud to be Ryan's grandmother!!!

Today is National Train Day and while we were in Enid we went to the Enid Train Museum. Keith took a lot of pictures. The soccer field was near the train tracks, so we heard passing trains sounding their whistles all day long. My late husband had worked for the Santa Fe Railroad for thirty-four years and he always loved hearing the sound of trains. I think it rubbed off on me because I too love that sound. My girlfriend and I plan to ride the Heartland Flyer train to Ft. Worth very soon.


Keith takes pictures of all court houses (he is an attorney) and all the high schools and their sport stadiums in every town or city he visits. We were driving all over Enid for him to take these pictures. This photo is the Enid Convention Hall and Mark Price Arena, named after the Enid High School grad who played basketball in the NBA.














The fun part of the trip was on the way to Enid. The Oklahoma State Highway Patrol pulled Keith over for speeding. The trooper was a very nice young man and just issued a warning ticket. He was interested in Keith's car because he had bought his wife a Nissan Altima and was asking Keith all sorts of questions about his Altima. Kelly and I were holding our breath when the Patrolman stopped Keith. It took a lot longer to get to and from Enid after Keith was stopped. It always takes longer when you are going the speed limit and not speeding. We talked to my other son that lives in Santa Fe, NM, but was on a weekend trip to the Mexico border. He had also been stopped for speeding but was issued a ticket. Their mother always told them to not speed and now they know why I was always warning them!!! Do I think they learned a lesson today, of course not.

I am looking forward to spending more time with Keith and Kelly tomorrow. They asked me to go out for a Mother's Day dinner. I hope all mothers are as proud of their children and grandchildren as I am mine.

No comments: