Saturday, May 3, 2008

A SATURDAY OUTING

What a day I have had!! I went to El Reno, OK to the 20th Annual Hamburger Festival with my son and his fiancee. El Reno celebrates Burger Day the first Saturday in May. It is attended by thousands to get a glimpse and a taste of what is billed as the "WORLD'S LARGEST ONION-FRIED BURGER." The hamburger is constructed in front of the public and the public appreciates the work that is involved in the construction of this mammoth burger. After the burger and onions have cooked and placed on the bottom bun, mustard and pickles are added, and the top bun is then carefully placed to complete the finished endeavor of many volunteers. A cookie cutter is used to cut serving-sized burgers to the hungry and eager crowd. I managed to receive a burger and a picture accompanies this blog. There was also a car show of beautiful vintage and unusual cars and we visited with my friend, Geneva's, daughter, Susie and her husband, Jim. They have a gorgeous silver Corvette on display. They belong to a Corvette club and travel to different cities with their Corvette.

The author of the book "Hamburger America" a State-by-State Guide to 100 Great Burger Joints, George Motz, (pictured with me below) was in El Reno to participate in Burger Day and we purchased three autographed books from him. He crosses the country to find the best burgers in the nation. My son and his fiancee have eaten at three of the burger restaurants mentioned in his book. My son, Scott, lives in Santa Fe, NM and his very favorite place to eat is the Bobcat Bite Restaurant. Bobcat Bite is listed in the book. Other burger restaurants listed in Oklahoma, besides the three El Reno places (Sid's, Johnnie's and Robert's), are Folger's (Ada), Meers (Meers), J&W Grill (Chickasha), Hamburger King (Shawnee). Oklahoma is well represented for having some of the best burgers in America.

After we left El Reno we decided to have lunch in Okarche, OK at Eischen's. Oklahoma's Oldest Bar. There isn't a menu and the recommendation is chicken. The three of us ordered two whole fried chickens, fried okra, and drinks. The dinner came accompanied with bread, sliced onions, and lots of two different kinds of pickles. We all were stuffed and had a doggy bag to bring home. We highly recommend Eischen's but go early as there is always a long line. It is a very popular place to eat.

We arrived home in time to watch the 134th Kentucky Derby. The favorite, Big Brown, easily won, but the second place winner, Eight Belles (only filly in the field) broke both front ankles and had to immediately be euthanized. What a tragedy for this beautiful and magnificent horse!!!

The day has not ended and, who knows, I might still be in for more excitement!!! (to be continued if anything else happens)

4 comments:

Jim said...

My goodness you have been one busy woman today. I find myself looking forward to reading your blog everyday. I Luv reading about all that you do and all of your activities! I feel as though I know you because you are an excellent writer and I am mesmorized by all of your adventures! My "grand daughter" is captivated by your writings as well. She talks about your blog and enjoys reading it too. She said that she hoped that I would be fortunate and find someone like you who is full of live and lives such a fun an adventureous life! I hope for that as well. My e-mail address is below and if you ever want to e-mail me so that it is more private, please feel free too.

Jim

Jim said...

Dear Luv,

As I'm sure you noticed, I was so excited to respond to your blog earlier, that I mispelled the word "life" with "live", but ironically, maybe my error was a "meant-to-be" mistake. My "life" would certainly be a much happier life if someday I found a beautiful woman like you to "live" my life with.

I am assuming that the pictures of the beautiful woman on your blog are you! You are even more beautiful than I had imagined!

With your looks, I bet that you are the "Bell of the Ball" everywhere you go!

Again, forgive my grammatical errors, I was typing my thoughts and feelings so fast that I was careless.

Here's hoping to receive a response from you at your earliest convenience. I hope that my comment for you to respond to me by way of my e-mail didn't offend you. Your responses continuing by way of this forum are just fine.

Jim

luv2gosup said...

Jim,

Thank you for the very nice compliments. Now that you know what I look like, please send me a picture of yourself.

I am adventurous but need that someone special to go with me. I, too, hope to be fortunate to meet that special person to share my life.

Jim said...

Dear Luv,

My "grand daughter" is going to help me put a picture of myself on my blog, she has been busy but promises to help me shortly.

I have missed reading your writings on your blog. I hope you are doing well, or if you are traveling, I hope that you are having fun! Hope to hear about your latest adventures soon.

Jim