Thursday, May 8, 2008

THE MUSEUM

I volunteered at the military museum today and had so much fun talking and listening to all the retired military guys. They are all so pleasant and well-educated, either by schooling or experience. They tell such interesting stories, stories I have never heard because I have never been around anyone in the military. George, my late husband, served in World War II but never went into battle and served his time before he and I were married. Fathers or sons of most of these men have also had a military career. One man who works at the reception desk with me has a grandson who graduated from West Point in 2005. He went to Iraq and was injured and is back home, but will have to return to complete his obligation of five years for his schooling at West Point. We all have favorites and Leon, a retired Lieutenant Colonel, is my favorite. His wit is so dry and he is so personable. I think he is everyone's favorite.

An antique dealer came to the museum to pick up a metal sign I had sold her. It is a sign that advertised the Knox give-a-way Acee Blue Eagle Indian dishes from the 1950's. I hated to part with it because I have never seen another one like it, but I have to start clearing out some of our collectibles. My late husband had his picture in the newspaper holding this sign. Once I went into an antique shop and I saw this newspaper picture and article about George and it really threw me for a moment. George had and I now have quite a collection of these Indian dishes. Anyone want to buy any or all!!!!

After returning from the museum I went to the mall and walked. I had walked enough around the museum, but not at a fast pace. I can tell now I am losing inches and pounds. I feel so much better and my knees aren't so stiff.

Late this evening Geneva and I went to Braum's and had a double hot fudge sundae. Now you know my secret of why I have to walk !! We don't do this often but it is always enjoyable when we do. Looking around Braum's I could see a lot of men and women who need to take up walking. This really is a fat society!!!

I just had a telephone call from my neighborhood walking buddy. She fell off the curb in front of a store and hurt her ankle and won't be walking tomorrow. She just got over an injury to herself when she fell at the gym and cut her hand and skinned her elbows and knees. I asked her if she needed glasses, and she said maybe new glasses.

It is almost time for one of my favorite TV shows (Grey's Anatomy) so I will end my posting to my blog for now.

No comments: