Thursday, May 22, 2008

MY FIRST SON'S BIRTHDAY

How can I put into words the happiness I felt when they laid my first son into my arms on May 22, 1953. His father and I were wishing our first born would be a healthy, baby boy. We must have been living right because we got our wish, and named him Keith. Keith has been a son that all parents would like to have as their son. He has always been kind, respectable, considerate of others, a joy to be around., and never caused us any anguish. Now that his father is deceased, I have needed to ask his assistance and knowledge in many day-to-day happenings. He never puts me off and is there 24/7, even though he has a busy schedule as an attorney. His father and I have always been proud to call Keith SON.

Place of birthday dinner was Keith's call. He chose Rib Crib for all the ribs you can eat and boy did we ever eat the ribs. I am not telling but I think Keith ate more than his fiancee and I put together. It was a fun evening with just the three of us and after dinner we came back to my house for birthday cake. Kelly furnished the cake and it was delicious. I wish his brother and children could have been with us to celebrate. Maybe next year we can all be together.

I volunteered today at the military museum and, as usual, had a fun-filled day. We had several visitors and the one that was most interesting to me was from England. I made my first sale in the gift shop, a big $10.00 sale. I do like to work the gift shop and have volunteered to work on Monday, Memorial Day. The museum has a Memorial Day ceremony and many veterans and civilians attend. I understand there will be a band and speakers. I have never attended a ceremony before so don't know exactly what to expect. I will write about it in another posting to my blog. I took chocolate and lemon bundt cakes for the breakroom. All the guys thanked me and one told me it was very good and tasted like his mother makes. What a compliment to be compared to a mother's cooking. I think we all realize that our mother's cooking is the best. Too bad the children of today only know what fast food restaurant has the best food.

When I returned from dinner tonight, I was delighted to see that my former daughter-in-law and granddaughter had been here and filled my window boxes with lovely plants. Janie has a green thumb and helps me with my plants and on several occasions throughout the year brings me fresh cut flowers. She has always been thoughtful in this way. When I called to thank she and my granddaughter, I could tell they had received as much pleasure in doing these window boxes as I had in being on the receiving end of their thoughtfulness.

It is 11:14 pm as I post this on my blog and my eyes are becoming weary from looking at the computer screen. I still have housework to do before I go to bed.

I always love birthday celebrations, but the celebration of your first child's birthday is and always will be special. I have so many memories of all the good times I had going to school functions, all the baseball games I saw Keith play and pitch in and all the memories of when he made me a grandma for the first time. I now will have memories of what a thoughtful and kind fiancee Kelly is. She is a joy to be around.

1 comment:

Frances said...

Through all those years, you would have already known that people don't need fancy 1st birthday party ideas just to enjoy the celebration. An intimate moment with the family would be more than enough right?