Sunday, July 6, 2008

SCOTT, MY FORGOTTEN SON

After reading my posting to my blog yesterday, my son, Scott, with "tongue in cheek" reminded me that I never mention him. So this posting is dedicated to my, unintentionally, forgotten son. Scott is never out of my mind, but due to his living in Santa Fe, NM I do tend to write about what is happening right here, right now.

Santa Fe was having a downpouring rain yesterday, with loud thunderclaps, the first of their monsoon season. Scott was standing out on his balcony enjoying all of it. His allergies have been bothering him, due to the lack of moisture in the air. I hope he will start breathing easier now. Just the evening before he was standing out on his balcony listening and watching a firework display nearby. He chose to stay home and eat hot dogs on the 4th and had watched the hot dog eating contest the day before when the American contestant won, after eating 64 hot dogs in the fastest time. Scott didn't tell me how many he ate but I am sure it was nowhere near 64.

Scott is my youngest son of two. He is a financial planner and works in 5 branches of a large bank in Santa Fe. Prior to his locating to Santa Fe, he lived in New Orleans. After Katrina hit New Orleans, he chose to relocate rather than starting all over again. His office was destroyed, but thankfully his townhouse was intact. He had just acquired a beautiful, neglected cat from his vet and had had Lanie only two days before the hurricane hit. Scott had to evacuate, as he had so many times before, and thought he would be able to return in a day or two. Lanie, the cat, was left in the townhouse with plenty of food and water to last much longer than two days. No one in New Orleans was prepared for the levy to break causing insurmountable damage and destruction. Scott was not allowed to return to his unharmed townhouse for two weeks. He feared the worst about Lanie, but after two weeks all alone, she was all right and still had food and water remaining. I guess she rationed herself. Scott and Lanie are both doing well in Santa Fe and have become bosom buddies. Lanie is skittish and we aren't sure if it is caused from the hurricane or from abuse she had before Scott got her. Scott is an animal lover. He had both his dog (Dogger) and his cat (Pebbles) for 20 years before each died of old age. Scott is now watching a bird covering her eggs, where she built a beautiful nest on his balcony light fixture. He is unable to turn on his outside light until the birds hatch and fly away.



Scott is having fun with his brother, brother's fiancee, Kelly, and me as we write our daily or weekly blogs. He won't admit it but I think he enjoys our writings as much we do in writing them.

So Scott, here is to you on this beautiful Sunday. I hope you enjoy reading this as much as I had in writing about you.

2 comments:

Kelly said...

I love you Scott and we ALL think and talk about you everyday! We need some pictures of places you've been so we can post them and write about your "travels all over the country!" and about Santa Fe! You are not Forgotten!!!!

Love, Kelly

Judy said...

Scott sounds like such a nice person and I love the story about the cat. I used to vacation in New Orleans but have not been there since Katrina. I always thought New Orleans was an enchanted town. I have never been to Santa Fe but others in my family say it is a wonderful place. Bring on the pictures!!!!!