Saturday, July 5, 2008

FREEDOM TO CELEBRATE

HOW DID YOU CELEBRATE THE 4th of JULY? We Americans have the right to celebrate in the way we choose. We oftentimes forget where these rights come from. We live in a great country where men die to preserve these rights. They give of their life freely so that we may live in peace. Let us not forget these men who so heroically die for you and me.

Many families celebrated yesterday in the traditional way, much as we did when I was a child. My family always got together and went to a public park, where we ate on fried chicken, potato salad, watermelon, and homemade ice cream cranked in an ice cream freezer. We kids got to take turns turning the crank to freeze the ice cream. What a delight when it was frozen and we were each given a dish of the best ever ice cream. I can almost taste it now. We played games such as horseshoes, baseball, and sack racing, and no one wanted the day to end. We were already looking forward to the next year's celebration. Through the years our family grew smaller, as deaths occurred, and celebrations became less and less frequently. Our family celebrations are non-existent now since divorces, deaths, aged family members, and moves have taken a toll on our family. Oh for the good ole days!!!

I personally celebrated the 4th by working at the Oklahoma 45th Infantry Division Museum. It was an eye-opening morning. The museum's curator and many others, dressed in their military uniforms, marched and rode in the annual Edmond, OK 4th of July parade. The men met at the museum and rode to the parade in two old army vehicles that are usually on display inside the museum. They are kept in running condition and are driven on special occasions. They returned from the parade hot and sweaty, as most of the uniforms were made of wool. These "soldiers for the day", had served in the Regular Army or the National Guard. The curator remained all day at the museum in his uniform and one family asked if their small son could have his picture taken with him. He was more than happy to oblige and the youngster, who was from Colorado, was extremely proud to have had his picture taken with a "soldier". We had seventy-five visitors who came to the museum to honor the men in the armed services. Visitors were from Germany, France, New Jersey, Wisconsin, Arkansas, Colorado, Texas, and Oklahoma. I had never worked on the 4th at the museum and I felt better at the day's end for having spent the day there.

My son and his fiancee, Kelly, smoked hamburgers and brisket and fixed corn on the cob and baked beans, and to my delight, prepared enough for my dinner. It was wonderful to come home to. They do thoughtful things for me almost on a daily basis.

This has been a busy week for me. I went out to dinner with my friend, Geneva, worked both Thursday and Friday at the museum and did a hundred and one other things throughout the week. Time really flies when you are having fun!! Nothing special is planned for tomorrow, Sunday, so I will try to catch up on undone things.

I have a new friend that responded to my blog on Father's Day and I wish to thank Judy in Kentucky, for all the nice comments and the inspiration she has given me, my son, and Kelly on our blogs. Judy, thanks so very much and we will continue to read new postings on your blogs.

1 comment:

Judy said...

You brought back so many memories when you talked about the homemade ice cream. My dad made it every year and we also got to turn the crank. He loved strawberry ice cream and we always had a strawberry patch, so they were added to the ice cream. I can taste that ice cream now! Thank you so much for the kind comments on your blog. I am proud to be your friend and any help I can give to you or your family is readily available anytime, just ask. I am sure if we lived closer we would have great times together.