Friday, June 6, 2008

MY FAVORITE DAY OF THE WEEK - THURSDAY

Yes, I have come to enjoy my Thursdays spent at the military museum as my favorite day of the week. I now have something to plan for and to enjoy. Yesterday was no exception. We had very few visitors, but the visitors we had were interesting to talk to. Young fathers with their small children, young mothers with their children, a former 45th Infantry Division veteran that served in the Korean War. He was injured (both arms shattered) and had spent 11 months in a military hospital but lived to talk about it. He and his wife live in Texas and they were traveling north to a family reunion and brought their young grandson to see the museum. There were two female retired army veterans who came in and they too were from Texas. They were in OKC for the Women's College World Series of softball. Also visiting was the photographer for "Monty Python's Spamalot" playing this weekend at the Civic Center. Two young girls on their lunch hour from the OKC Zoo came in for a few minutes. I meet such a cross section of people from all walks of life. I am so glad I decided to volunteer my time on Thursday mornings.

At 10:30 PM last night a storm came barreling through and lasted just a short time, but all my power including electricity, computer, and telephone, were knocked out and I did not regain my power until 3:00 pm today. It wasn't as bad as it sounds because most of that time was when I was sleeping anyway. I kept the house closed up today and didn't open the refrigerator any more times than I had to, so everything stayed cool and there was no food spoilage. We are such creatures of luxuries!!! My son couldn't get me on the phone or the internet, so this morning he came and checked on me. I know it was Kelly's idea to check on me because she is such a caring person.

I was given tickets to the Ringling Brothers and Barnum and Bailey Circus and Keith, Kelly, and I plan to go tomorrow evening. The last circus I attended was with my friend, Geneva, when we went to the Shriner's Circus. Every circus I have ever seen has three rings going at once and I get so dizzy going back and forth from one ring to the next. There is something interesting going on at all times and you don't want to miss anything.

I had not gone to the mall to walk all week because I had been out of town part of the week, worked one day and was just too lazy one day to make the effort, but today it was back to walking two miles in forty minutes. I feel better mentally and physically when I walk.

A lot of friends called and I had several e-mails when my power was restored. Everyone asked if I had been on the telephone all day because they got a busy signal all day. They had no way of knowing the power was off. Mary, my cousin who lives in Illinois, had tried to call many times today. She and her husband have just returned from an Alaskan cruise. There were five friends and she and Marvin that went. She thinks I should save my money and go on the Alaskan cruise. Maybe if I didn't go gambling, I could afford a cruise. I will have to weigh gambling or cruise and decide which I would rather do. Right now the gambling has my vote. I am not a good traveler and want to sleep in my own bed.

It is 6:01 PM and time to think about what is for dinner. I might have to entertain myself by going out to eat. It seems I do a lot of that lately. Who wants to cook for one and clean the kitchen afterwards? Certainly not me!!

No comments: