Friday, June 27, 2008

A MUCH NEEDED RAINY FRIDAY MORNING

What a wonderful rain we are having here in Oklahoma City. Our burmuda grasses are already starting to turn brown from the high temperatures we are experiencing. The weather forecast is 20% chance of rain and 96 degrees. It will probably be hot and humid once the rain ceases. The weather is unpredictable here in Oklahoma. Most of us who were born and reared here, are now acclimated to the varying weather changes. The wind is always coming sweeping down the plain, just as the words say in the song OKLAHOMA. We take pride whenever we hear that song. I love the beautiful music that Rogers and Hammerstein wrote about our wonderful state. I guess my favorites are "Oh What a Beautiful Morning", "The Surrey With the Fringe On Top", "People Will Say We're In Love", and "Oklahoma". This morning I feel like singing "Oh What a Beautiful Morning".

On Thursday I had another enjoyable day volunteering at the Oklahoma 45th Infantry Division Museum. I didn't get to greet too many of the visitors to the museum because I was needed in the gift shop. The gift shop has only items for sale that reflect the 45th Infantry. I did talk to a family in the gift shop from Pennsylvania. What a delightful family!! There were cousins, aunts, uncles, nieces and nephews in their group. They are descendants of the "Five Civilized Tribes of Oklahoma". What a wonderful heritage they share. They bought many items to take to other members of their family. There was also a group of 9-10 year old children on an outing and it seems as though they each had $20.00 to spend. You know how children are. Each child studied every item displayed, and several changed their minds three or four times before settling on a gift for their mom. Others bought toy tanks, airplanes, and soldiers. They weren't going home without spending their money!! I enjoy working with all the volunteers. They are very nice, and I am in awe of all of them. I love their personal stories. They must have made many sacrifices to protect our country. I like working so much at the museum that I should pay them for allowing me to work there.

Last evening my son and fiancee and I went out for dinner. We had never eaten at the San Marcos Mexican Restaurant. We enjoyed our dinners immensely, even had a margarita. The restaurant is owned and operated by a family member of my grandson's good friend, Ruben. We talked to the owner about the boys' friendship and their love of the soccer game. Ruben attends Oklahoma State University and Ryan is in Sterling College in Kansas. Every chance they get when both are back in Oklahoma City, they get together and find a soccer game to participate in.

Last night I had several telephone calls and instant messages from friends. I even heard from a friend that I had attended the Doobie Brothers concert with. What would our lives be like without friendship?

2 comments:

Judy said...

Glad to hear you got some rain. It has rained here every day for 3 days but we needed it, too. I enjoyed reading about your state. Have a good weekend!

Kelly said...

Please tell Judy how much I enjoyed being able to find the link from her blog and "copy" it so that I'd have a music widget on my blog! I have had more fun with it and I love hearing some of my favorite songs! It really puts me in a good mood hearing the music. I'm sure I'll be adding more music shortly and if she has other ideas, suggestions etc... I'd really be interested in her "expertise"!

Kel