Wednesday, September 3, 2008


Today is my youngest son's birthday, my baby. Where have all the years gone since he was a 7 lb. 4 l/2 oz. bundle of joy? His late father and I and his brother were happy to welcome Scott, the second son into our family in 1960. Our other son had been born seven years previously (1953). The first year of his life we lived in OKC near family, but his dad worked for the Santa Fe Railroad and was transferred to St. Joseph, MO, the home of the Pony Express and where Jesse James met his untimely death as the story goes. After a couple of years his dad was transferred to Kansas City, MO and Scott entered kindergarten. Again, his dad was promoted and transferred and this time back to our roots in Oklahoma City.

Scott is now a strapping 6'3" 200 lb. something young man. His late father and I have always been extremely proud of him and his accomplishments. He went through the public school system here in Oklahoma City and entered college on a baseball scholarship. He has never caused us one bit of trouble growing up, unless you call his obsession of Farrah Fawcett, when he was in high school, a problem. He purchased everything he could find with her picture on it. I even made drapes for his room with her shown in her famous red bathing suit pose. Somehow we lived through that phase of his life. He has been through many phases since that early obsession.

Scott has always been a good student and his interest in history was, and still is, a big part of his life. He has lived in many different places and has always chosen the larger cities full of history. He has lived in Kansas City, Washington D.C., New Orleans, and now resides in Santa Fe, NM. Three years ago he was living in New Orleans, when Hurricane Katrina and the broken levee devastated that city. When Scott was forced to evacuate New Orleans, he had just two days earlier, adopted a cat named Lanie, and Lanie was left behind in the townhouse with ample food and water to last several days. Everyone thought they would be back into their homes within two days, but when the levee broke, it was anyone's guess when, and if, they would be allowed back in. Scott came to my home to stay, worrying every minute about his cat that was left behind. After two weeks the residents were allowed back into their homes for a couple of hours and Scott expected the worst, to see his townhouse destroyed and his cat, Lanie, dead. But, miracles do happen and he found the townhouse almost like he had left it and Lanie well and food and water still remained for several more days. He found his office destroyed (he is a financial planner) and he decided to relocate in Santa Fe, NM where he resides today. With the latest Hurricane Gustav pounding New Orleans and other cities in Louisiana, Scott has watched all news accounts day and night. Many of his friends and business associates chose to remain in New Orleans after Katrina and his concern for them at this time is to be expected. After all, he has been there, done that.

Scott now spends all his long weekends and free time visiting historical sites in and around NM and CO. He e-mails me pictures of his travels and weekend excursions and I feel I have traveled to those places from looking at the beautiful pictures.

Scott, I want to wish you a Happy Birthday and many, many more. I wish your dad were here today to tell you how proud he is of you and also to wish you a Happy Birthday.


I Love You, Mom


Judy said...

Happy Birthday to Scott! I am so glad you told the story about Lanie. What a great story and loved hearing about his crush on Farah Fawcett. lol. The picuture of Scott and his brother is one to hang onto. Great post for a great person.

Kelly said...

Happy Birthday Scott!! I knew most of the stories, but the Farrah Fawcett one, I guess I hadn't heard! It seem a lot of young boys "grew up" spending a lot of time alone with her in their rooms!! :)

You know I love you and wish you a very Happy Birthday!!!

KHC said...

Happy birthday!